- 4 lb beef rump or sirloin tip
- 1 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup veal stock
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 medium sliced onions
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 sliced carrots
- 10 whole black peppers
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups drippings
- 1 cup strained marinade
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons ginger snap crumbs
1. Two to three days before serving, wipe the meat with a damp cloth, then place in a large plastic bag.
2. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine vinegar, stock, water,onions, celery, carrots, pepper, cloves, bay leaves, sugar and salt; pour over meat.
3. Fasten bag tightly and lay flat in a 9" X 13" pan. Refrigerate, turning bag each day. (If you like sour sauerbraten, let marinate for 4 days.)
4. When ready to cook, remove meat (saving marinade) and dry well. Rub the surface lightly with flour.
5. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and slowly brown the meat well on all sides.
6. Add 1 cup of the marinade liquid plus some of the vegetables and bay leaves.
7. Cover tightly and simmer on surface heat or in a preheated 350oF oven for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is fork tender. If needed, add more marinade during the cooking time to keep at least 1/2 inch liquid in the Dutch oven.
8. Remove the meat and keep warm until ready to slice.
9. Into a large measuring cup, strain the drippings. Add several ice cubes and let stand for a few minutes until the fat separates out. Remove the fat.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
1. In the Dutch oven, combine the gravy ingredients.
2. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat until gravy has thickened.
3. Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary.
This makes about 3 cups.