|Rinderrouladen (Beef Rolls) |
- 4 sandwich or roll steaks; *
- 2 teaspoon mustard; dijon-style
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pickles; **
- 2 oz salt pork; ** or
- 2 bacon; strips **
- 1 onion; large, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth; hot
- 4 peppercorns
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* Sandwich or roll steaks should weigh about 6 oz each.
** Pickles, Salt Pork or Bacon should be cut into long thin strips.
- Lay steaks on a flat surface. Spread each with mustard; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Divide pickles, salt pork (or bacon), and onion among the steaks equally.
- Roll up steaks jelly-roll fashion; secure with beef-roll clamps, toothpicks, or thread.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, add the steak roll, and brown well on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Pour in hot beef broth, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove beef rolls, discard clamps, and arrange on a preheated platter.
- Blend cornstarch with a small amount of cold water, stir into sauce and bring to a boil.
- Boil until sauce is thick and bubbly.
Correct seasonings and serve separately.