Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: FRA113
- 1 teaspoon melted butter or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 egg
- Black pepper
VARIATIONS-CHOOSE ONE OR HALF EACH OF TWO
- 1 tablespoon chopped sausages, ham, fish, shrimp, crab, or cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon mushroom, onions, green bell pepper, whole artichokes or spinach; sautéed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated cheese or Parmesan cheese
True shirred eggs are started on top of the stove and then baked in the oven, but there is no need for fussing with this. Just cover with foil to help the eggs cook in the same way.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Use a small baking dish just large enough for one egg (or two at the most).
- If using butter, melt it in the oven, right in the egg dish.
- Remove it and turn the dish to coat the entire inside.
- Place egg in the dish and cover with foil and without seasoning.
- Place dish in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the whites are solid and the yolk is soft.
- If you are using cream, place half of the amount in the bottom of the dish, then the egg, then the rest of the cream, then cover without seasoning and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Variations: Prepare according to ingredient section.
- For the meats: Place them around the egg after following all the other instructions.
- For the vegetables: Place them in the dish after melting the butter, then put the egg on top.
- For the cheese: Sprinkle over the top of the egg and cover.
- For Florentine: Put the spinach in the bottom of the dish, then the egg then sprinkle with Parmesan.