Risotto alla Parmigiana
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound Arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken stock, hot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces Parmagiano Reggiano cheese, coarsely grated
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large, straight−sided saute pan or saucepan.
2. Add the onion, and saute until soft, without browning.
3. Add the rice, and saute for 2 minutes until the rice is well−coated.
4. Ladle 1/2 cup of stock into the rice, stirring constantly, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is almost dry. Add more stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until it's all absorbed by the rice and the rice is al dente. The rice should be very moist and creamy, but not runny; the rice should be firm but tender, not crunchy.
5. Remove from heat, and stir in the raw butter and the Parmagiano cheese.
6. Salt to taste, and serve immediately.
This basic risotto can be served with any number of beef, veal, pork, chicken, or seafood dishes.