|Pappardelle Alle Sevise|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: ITA110
Pappardelle Alle Sevise
- 1 pound fresh pappardelle
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons sweet cream butter
- 1 stalk celery; minced
- 1 large carrot; minced
- 4 ounces prosciutto; minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage
- 2 squabs, 1-1/2 lbs. each; cleaned & quartered
- 1 cup Chianti
- 18 ounces Italian plum tomatoes; canned
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch seasoned salt
- 1 pinch seasoned pepper
- In a large deep pan, heat the oil and butter and then add the celery, onion, carrot, prosciutto, and sage.
- After about 3 minutes, add the pieces of squab and cook 5 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the Chianti.
- When it is nearly evaporated, add the tomatoes (that you have previously crushed by hand), salt, pepper, and sugar and cook over low heat for 45 minutes.
- If sauce is too thick, add more tomatoes.
- When the sauce is almost done, cook the pappardelle (al dente), drain and transfer to a large serving bowl or to individual bowls.
- Top with the sauce and mix well.
- Top with pieces of the squab (cut the pieces into chunks) and serve.
This sauce may be thinned with rich chicken stock or a little heavy cream, cheese is not served with this pasta.