Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: BREAD1004
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105-115f)
- 2 1/3 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light-tasting olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves; minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 450F.
- Fifteen minutes before baking focaccia, put rack in center of oven. If you have 2 ovens, preheat both; otherwise bake focaccias one after the other.
- Generously oil 2 large baking sheets, preferably black steel.
- Stir yeast and sugar into warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Mix flour, cornmeal and salt in food processor fitted with metal blade (can also be kneaded with mixer dough hook or by hand).
- Slowly pour yeast mixture through feed tube.
- Also pour 2 tablespoons oil through.
- Process until dough cleans inside of work bowl but is still moist. If it sticks, add a little flour; if it's dry, add a little water.
- Once dough is moist but not so wet that it sticks to sides of bowl, process until uniformly kneaded, elastic and supple, about 40 seconds.
- Transfer dough to large plastic food bag, squeeze out air and seal at top, allowing room for dough to expand.
- Let dough rise in warm spot until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down; use immediately or refrigerate overnight.
- Combine remaining 6 tablespoons oil, garlic and dried herbs.
- Gently heat until warm (not hot) on stove top or microwave oven.
- Divide dough in half. Let rest 5 minutes.
- On floured board, roll each piece into about a 12-inch round.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- Prick surface with fork. Brush with oil mixture, including edges.
- Sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake, one at a time, until very lightly browned around edges only, about 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Check after 2 minutes in oven; prick any air pockets with fork.
- Brush with any remaining oil, including edges.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and pepper flakes.
Can be baked in advance and frozen.
- Cool completely, freeze and then wrap airtight.
- Let thaw in wrapping.
- To reheat, place in cold oven and set at 300F. Bake until hot, about 5-7 minutes.
Cut into wedges and serve hot. Yield: 2 12-inch rounds.