|Pasta Cartoccio Frutta Di Mare|
Difficulty Level: Hard
Recipe Id: ITA109
Pasta Cartoccio Frutta Di Mare
- 1/2 pound shrimp; shelled & deveined
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus oil for greasing di
- 1 tablespoon shallots; finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic; finely minced
- 1/3 pound sea scallops
- 1 cup red ripe tomatoes; finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh chicken broth or bottled clam
- 2 tablespoons parsley; finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons Cognac
- 4 littleneck clams
- 4 mussels; well-scrubbed
- 1/4 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/3 pound perciatelli; See Note
- 1/3 pound mezza-lasagna; See Note
- 1/3 pound fettuccine
- 10 small fresh basil leaves
- Cut the shrimp lengthwise in half. Cut each half crosswise. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring, about one minute.
- Add the shrimp and shallots and cook, stirring, about one minute.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer about one minute and add the parsley, oregano, and Cognac.
- Add the clams and mussels and cover closely.
- Cook until the clams and mussels open, about one and a half minutes.
- Add the crab meat, stir gently, and remove from the heat.
- Bring four quarts of water to a boil and add the perciatelli.
- Cook, stirring down with a fork, about one and a half minutes, and add the fettuccine and the mezza-lasagna.
- Continue cooking about six minutes.
- Spread out on a flat surface a sheet of aluminum foil measuring about 17 by 30 inches.
- Fold the foil over itself to make a rectangle measuring 15 by 17 inches.
- Fold over the open edges to seal.
- Drain the pasta and place it in the foil bag.
- Pour the sauce with the seafood into the bag.
- Scatter the basil leaves on top of the pasta and sauce.
- Fold the open end of the foil to seal it all around.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a metal dish or baking sheet and place the pasta-filled foil bag on top.
- Turn the burner to high. Cook for about two minutes, until the bag puffs like a pillow.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a long slit on one side of the bag.
- Divide the pasta and seafood among four heated dishes.
If perciatelli or mezza-lasagna are not available, substitute equal amounts of fettuccine and cook for nine to twelve minutes.