Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: STAR101
- 2 large green bell peppers; * see note, stem removed, seeded, and chopped
- 6 small fresh hot green chiles, stem removed, seeded, and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large onion; chopped
- 8 cloves garlic; chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup corn or light-flavored oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- salt; to taste
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- In a blender puree until smooth bell peppers, chiles, 1-1/2 cups of the chicken broth, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper, sugar, oregano, and cumin.
- In a large, heavy skillet or casserole with tight-fitting lid, heat oil.
- When oil is hot but not smoking, add rice and stir continuously for a few minutes to coat rice with oil, but not long enough to let it brown.
- Add vegetable puree and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to moderate, add salt to taste, and continue cooking until liquid is level with top of rice.
- Cover and reduce heat to lowest possible setting. Leave undisturbed for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave until rice is tender (15 to 20 minutes).
- Add cilantro and fluff with a fork.
NOTES : Roast bell peppers and chiles over a gas flame or under a broiler until skins blister. Turn to roast all sides. Wrap in a damp towel and leave for 5 minutes. Use towel to rub off scorched bits of skin. Yield: 6 servings