Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: SAUCE109
- 12 dried ancho chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and finely chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- Seed and stem chilies under cold running water. Break into one-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Add boiling water and soak one hour.
- Strain chilies through sieve, reserving liquid.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, salt, oregano, cumin and tumeric, and blend well.
- Pour mixture into heavy small saucepan. Add one cup reserved soaking liquid.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens and coats spoon, ten to fifteen minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.
Makes 2 cups
From Bon Appetit, Dec '85.