|Arroz Amarillo Con Camarones|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: SPA1013
Arroz Amarillo Con Camarones (Yellow Rice & Shrimp Casser)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion; chopped
- 1 small green pepper; chopped
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 large ripe tomato peeled, seeded & chopp; ed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch saffron; toasted
- 1 lb shrimp, raw shelled, deveined hot; water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cup long grain white rice water
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 cooked peas
- 1 pimiento strips
- 1 parsley bouquets
Use a 3-quart casserole with lid. An earthenware casserole is preferable, especially if you wish to add a touch of Spain to a dinner party. However, I know that good earthenware is hard to find today. I have 2 casseroles that I've had for 15 years.
- Heat oil in casserole. Saute onion and pepper until transparent.
- Add garlic, parsley, tomato, bay leaf, nutmeg, cumin and thyme.
- Mix well, cover, and cook over low heat until mushy (about 15 minutes). The saffron should be toasting on the lid in the little brown paper.
- Add the shrimp to the saute and cook until it turns pink.
- Dissolve the saffron in the 1 cup hot water. Combine with wine, lemon juice, salt and hot sauce.
- Pour into casserole, stir to mix, and cook covered 10 minutes more.
- Now add the rice and the 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Distribute ingredients well in casserole. Bring to a quick boil, STIR ONCE, and place in preheated 325 degree F. oven for only 20 minutes - NI UN MINUTO MAS!
- Remove from oven, uncover, and garnish with peas, pimientos, and parsley.
- Pour beer over all. Cover again and allow to stand 15 minutes longer, before serving.
Clarita's Cocina - by Clarita Garcia