|Ostiones En Escabeche|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: SPA1019
Ostiones En Escabeche (Soused Oysters)
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely sliced white onion
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup finely sliced carrots, blanched
- 1/2 cup cauliflower flowerets, blanched
- 2 california bay leaves
- 3 fresh marjoram sprigs or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, mexican if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 cup shucked oysters or other seafood (shrimp, crab, scallops, alone or together)
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- 1 strips of canned jalapenos en escabeche (to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large frying or saute pan.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves and toss over high heat without browning for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, peppercorns, salt, and vinegar; cook over high heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the oysters, sliced lime, and jalapenos* and cook until the oysters are plump and just cooked - about 2 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Refrigerate overnight and serve at room temperature.
* Jalapenos may be omitted and passed separately at the table.