Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: SPA1001
Escabeche (Spiced Pickled Fish)
- 3 pounds firm fleshed white fish; cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 small fresh hot chilies; cut into thin rings
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 large onion; cut into 1/8" thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper; cut into rings and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper; cut into rings and seeded
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- salt; to taste
- coarse ground black pepper; to taste
- cayenne; to taste
- watercress or parsley sprigs; optional
- Melt the butter and oil together in a heavy skillet over moderate heat and add the garlic, ginger, chilies, and pickling spices.
- Saute gently, stirring all the while, until the garlic and chilies are soft but not browned.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except fish, water, seasoning, and garnish, and cook for no more than 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just soft, stirring gently and being careful not to mash the vegetables.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour hot mixture over fish, cool and allow 24 hrs. to marinate.
- Serve cold.
- garnish with fresh watercress or parsley.
Yield: 4 servings.