Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: SPA1008
Stuffed Baked Tortillas (Chilaquilas)
- 1 1/2 cups Chirmol Tomato Sauce; (see recipe)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 10 ounces farmer's cheese (1 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 10 tortillas
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white flour
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- Make the Tomato Sauce. (Can cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.)
- Mince the onion (1/4 cup) and the red pepper (1/4 cup) and put each in a medium bowl.
- Add the cheese (1 1/2 cups), red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture onto the bottom half of each tortilla, and fold tortillas in half to form a semicircle. (Cracks in the tortillas will be sealed with the egg batter. Can wrap and refrigerate filled tortillas overnight.)
- Adjust oven rack to medium position and heat oven to 375°F.
- Separate the eggs. Using a whisk or rotary beater, whip egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon salt to firm peaks.
- Lightly beat the yolks and flour and fold mixture into the whites.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Dip the tortillas into the egg batter and shake off excess.
- Fry tortillas over medium heat until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Put tortillas in a single layer into two 9- by 13-inch baking dishes and cover with Chirmol.
- Bake until tortillas are heated through, about 20 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8
Egg white batter is a common coating for deep-fried foods in Guatemala. The small amount of flour in the batter gives the firmly beaten egg whites a bit more substance than tempura batter.