|Asopao De Camarones|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: SPA1003
Asopao De Camarones
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion; finely chopped
- 1 onion; cut into thin rings
- 1 red bell pepper
- seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 small fresh hot green chiles; cut into thin strips
- 3 tomatoes; chopped
- 6 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 pounds shrimp; peeled and deveined
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- salt and coarsely ground black pepp; to taste
- Tabasco sauce; to taste, optional
- 1/3 cup slivered cooked lean ham; for garnish
- 2 green onions; minced, for garnish
- 2 ounces chopped pimientos; for garnish
- In a heavy skillet or wok, heat oil. Do not let it smoke.
- Add chopped onion, onion rings, bell pepper, chiles, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Remove to a 2 1/2 to 3-quart pot and add tomato paste and broth.
- Stir until paste is dissolved.
- Add rice and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add shrimp and peas and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and Tabasco (if desired).
To serve, ladle into a large heated tureen and sprinkle with ham, green onions, and pimientos.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)