Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: GER117
Zwiebelkuchen (Onion Tart)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tb butter
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoon half and half (milk & cream)
- 1 salt
- 4 medium onions
- 4 bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (be generous)
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (250C).
- Lightly grease an 11 inch quiche pan; set aside.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work butter into flour.
- Stir in 1 egg, half and half and salt to make dough. Let stand in a cool place for a few minutes.
- Thinly slice onions.
- Fry bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add onion rings; saute 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- In a medium bowl, beat together whipping cream, 2 eggs, salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out pastry.
- Line greased pan with pastry. Prick pastry surface with a fork.
- Spread cooked bacon and onions over pastry.
- Pour in cream mixture.
- Cover with foil. Bake 20 mins.
- Remove foil; bake 10 to 15 mins longer or until set.
- Cut in squares or wedges. Serve warm.
When cooking for large numbers, double the quantites given. Bake on a large baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Puff pastry or pizza dough can be substituted for pie pastry. If serving this tart for an appetizer or entree, a chilled white German wine will make the perfect match.