|Braised Red Cabbage|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: GER114
Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 red cabbage; julienned
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, red wine vinegar; or rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 apple, peeled, cored; cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- Examine and clean the cabbage. Discard any tough or wilted leaves, cut away and discard the core. Cut the remaining leaves into thin julienne.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and add the onion and cabbage and sauté, stirring, until wilted.
- Add the apple slices, broth, vinegar, honey, cloves. Blend well.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Uncover and simmer until liquid reduces by half.
- Add butter, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.