Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: GER124
Lobster Fricassee [hummerfrikassee]
- 1 lb calve's sweetbreads or brains [opt'; l]
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 parsley root
- 1/2 knob celery
- 1 small leek
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 can white asparagus tips or
- 1 tablespoon capers [optional]
- 1 can button mushrooms
- 2 large lobsters; about 1 1/2 lbs each, coo
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 1 anchovy; chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon white wine
- 3 tablespoon parsley; minced
- 1 tablespoon dill; minced
- 6 egg yolks; beaten with-
- 2 tablespoon ; water
- 1 salt and pepper
- 6 patty shells
- Prepare sweetbreads.
- Simmer stock with carrot, celery, parsley root, knob celery, leek and parsley sprigs for 15 min.
- Add sweetbreads and cook 30 min.
- Remove sweet breads from stock pot and dice.
- Strain the broth, reserving the vegetables for the soup pot and keeping the broth to continue here.
- Drain asparagus and mushrooms and add their liquids to the stock.
- Slice mushrooms and cut asparagus sprears into 1/3s. Cube lobster meat.
- Heat lobster meat, sweetbreads, asparagus and mushrooms thoroughly in the hot stock.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and when it bubbles blend in flour; let the mixture cook until golden colored.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups of hot stock and when the sauce is smooth add chopped anchovy, lemon juice, wine, minced parsley and dill.
- Remove pan from the flame and stir in beaten egg yolks. Season to taste.
- Remove lobster, sweet breads, asparagus and mushrooms from stock and put them in the hot sauce.
- Spoon into patty shells which have been warmed in the oven and serve.
Variations: Substitute brains for sweetbreads. Skip the sweetbreads and increase the amount of lobster. Substitute crab, shrimp, scallops or chunks of a firm white fleshed fish. Skip the asparagus and include 1 tbspn capers.
From: The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheraton, 1965