|Hasenpfeffer ver. 2|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: GER106
Hasenpfeffer ver. 2
- 4 lb rabbit
- 1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon salt; optional
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup onions; chopped
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onions; thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cut rabbit in serving-sized pieces. Wash, scrape, and soak in salted cold water for 1 hour. Drain and dry.
- In a glass or pottery bowl mix together the wine, vinegar, salt, pepper, bay leaf, chopped onions, and pickling spice.
- Add the rabbit and let marinate in the refirgerator for 3 days. Turn the pieces occasinally.
- Drain the rabbit; strain and reserve the marinade. Dry the rabbit with paper towels and roll in flour.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or deep heavy skillet; brown the rabbit and sliced onions in it.
- Pour off fat and add sugar and 1-1/2 cups marinade.
- Cover and cook over low heat 1-1/2 hours or until rabbit is tender.
- Turn the pieces occasionally and add more marinade if needed.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Mix the sour cream into the gravy just before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: The Complete Round the World Cookbook by Myra Waldo.