|Grilled Venison Chop with Chestnut Twice Baked Potato|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: USA1030
Grilled Venison Chop With Chestnut Twice Baked Potato
Twice baked chestnut potatoes:
- 4 large idaho baking potatoes
- 1 lb chestnuts
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 tablespoon chopped parsley
Arctic berry chutney: See recipe
- 4 venison rib chops
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 allspice seeds
- 1 tablespoon aquavit or gin
- Scrub the potatoes and pat dry. Prick the skins several times with a fork.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Slice chestnuts with a very sharp knife approximately 1/4-inch and place on a roasting pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes (may be prepared up to one day in advance).
- Peel the chestnuts husks carefully away from the meat.
- Combine meats with thyme sprigs and milk in a large saucepan.
- Simmer for 8 minutes. Remove thyme, strain chestnuts and reserve.
- Cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out the inside of each potato, leaving approximately 1/4-inch thickness around skin and reserve.
- Mash hollowed potato and chestnuts gently with a masher until chunky smooth.
- Fold in egg yolk and parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place filled shells on an ungreased cookie sheet and fill with potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven until golden brown (approximately 8 minutes).
- In a deep bowl, marinate venison chop for 24 hours in a marinade of canola oil, allspice and aquavit or gin.
- Remove chops from marinade.
- Heat grilling pan or cast-iron or other heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until very hot.
- Place chops in pan and sear each side for approximately 5 minutes.
To serve, spoon several tablespoons chutney on plate and place grilled venison chop on top.