|Schinkenrollchen mit Spargel|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: GER118
Schinkenrollchen mit Spargel (German Ham Rolls W/ Asparagus In Aspic)
- 12 asparagus stalks; cooked but firm
- 4 slice [thin] ham; cooked
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 cup asparagus water
- 2 pkg gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Reserve the water in which the asparagus is cooked.
- Drain, dry and chill asparagus.
- Spread one side of each ham slice with mayonnaise.
- Lay 3 asparagus stalks crosswise at one end of each ham slice.
- Roll ham. Arrange the rolls on a large flat dish so they do not touch each other. Each roll must then be coated with the following aspic.
- Dissolve gelatin in a 1/2 cup of cold asparagus water.
- Flavor the remaining water with lemon juice.
- Heat, remove from the stove and add the softened gelatin. Stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Spoon the mixture over the ham rolls, when it cools and begins to thicken slightly, but before it sets.
- Place the plate in the refigerator for an hour or so until the gelatin sets.
Serve on individual plates over lettuce leaves. decorate with pimento strips or hard cooked eggs, chopped or sliced. Serve extra mayo on the side.
Yield: 4 servings
From: The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheraton, 1965.