Coq au Vin
- 1 whole 2-3 lb. chicken cut into six pieces
- 1/2 c. cooked and chopped bacon
- 15-20 pearl onions, peeled
- 20 morel or other small mushrooms
- 3 Tblsp. butter
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 bouquet garni (sprigs of thyme, rosemary, parsley and bay leaf tied together with butcher's twine)
- 1/8 C. brandy
- 2 C. red wine
1. Lightly flour chicken.
2. On medium heat in a deep saute pan, melt 2 Tblsp.butter and lightly brown chicken on both sides.
3. Add garlic, onions, mushrooms and bouquet garni.
4. Cover and cook unjtil onions and chicken are a deep golden brown.
5. Remove lid and pour brandy over chicken.
6. CAREFULLY set aflame and allow alcohol to cook off.
7. Add red wine, cover again, and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour.
8. Remove chicken and bouquet garni.
9. Mount sauce with 1 Tblsp. butter.
10. Top chicken servings with sauce, garnish with fresh parsley or any herb you desire.