|Roast Quail Stuffed with Foie Gras|
Difficulty Level: Hard
Recipe Id: USA1039
Roast Quail Stuffed with Foie Gras
- 4 quail, boned
- Salt and pepper
- Pate de foie gras (enough to stuff quail, about 2 ounces each)
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup minced shallot
- 1/4 cup Armagnac
- 1 1/2 cups veal or chicken stock
- 2 to 3 teaspoons arrowroot dissolved in water
- Fresh chervil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Season quail, stuff with foie gras and wrap with bacon.
- In oven proof saute pan heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over moderate heat until hot.
- Add quail and cook until golden on all sides.
- Transfer to oven and roast 15 minutes.
- Transfer quail to a serving dish.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with Armagnac, scraping up brown bits clinging to bottom of pan.
- Add veal stock and reduce to 1 cup.
- Add enough arrowroot to lightly thicken sauce.
- Whisk in remaining butter.
- Pour juices from platter containing quail into sauce and stir to combine.
- Coat quail with sauce and garnish with chervil.