|Braised Veal Shanks|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: USA1023
Braised Veal Shanks
- 4 pounds veal shank; cut in equal pieces
- 1 pinch salt; to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper; to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 1 pound onions; diced
- 1 cup carrots; diced
- 1 cup celery; diced
- 3 sprigs rosemary; 1-1/2" long
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups white wine
- 2 quarts veal stock
- Reconstitute porcini mushrooms in 1 cup warm water
- Drain (reserving liquid) and dice fine.
- Season veal shank with salt and pepper. Dust with flour.
- In an ovenproof pan, brown veal in hot olive oil until golden.
- Remove veal from pan.
- Add next 5 ingredients to pan, sauté until browned.
- Add reserved mushroom liquid and wine to vegetables and reduce liquid by one-half.
- Add mushrooms and veal stock.
- Bring to a boil. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven approximately 2 hours.
- Remove meat from juice. Keep warm.
- Reduce juice by one-half and pour over veal.
Serve in a large bowl with risotto and pan sauce.