|California Goat Cheese Crepes With Sweet Onion Sauce|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: USA1017
California Goat Cheese Crepes With Sweet Onion Sauce
- 1 c Flour, all purpose
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 c Milk, or more
- 1 pn Salt
- 1 pn Pepper, black, ground
- 1 tb Parsley, chopped
- 1 tb Chives, chopped
- 2 tb Butter, lightly salted
- Oil, olive
- 8 oz Cheese, goat, California at room temperature
- 2 tb Oil, olive
- 3 tb Basil, finely shredded
- 2 tb Parsley, chopped
- 2 tb Olives, black, chopped
- Pepper, black, ground
SWEET ONION SAUCE
- 1 1/2 tb Oil, vegetable
- 1 md Onion, sliced
- 1 c Veal, trimmings OR Beef, trimmings cut into 3/4 inch dice.
- 2 tb Vermouth, dry
- 2 c Stock, veal
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl
- Add egg, egg yolk and a little of the milk and stir to the consistency of smooth paste.
- Gradually add remaining milk and mix until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon of parsley and chives.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter until the butter foams and turns a very light brown color.
- Whisk this into the batter. Let the mixture stand for at least 2 hours.(Thin the batter with milk, if necessary, to the consistency of whipping cream.)
- Brush a 7" non-stick skillet with a thin film of olive oil and place over medium heat.
- When hot, add about 3 tablespoons of batter and swirl to coat the pan.
- Cook until lightly golden, about 1 minute; then flip and cook the second side for about 30 seconds.
- Continue with remaining batter, stacking crepes between sheets of waxed paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the cheese with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until soft and smooth.
- Stir in the basil, 2 tablespoons of parsley, olives, and pepper.
- For Sweet Onion Sauce:
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat, then add onion and meat.
- Cook uncovered, shaking the pan and stirring occasionally, until the meat and the onion are browned (about 20 minutes.)
- d the vermouth, stirring, to the meat and onions.
- Add the stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Allow the mixture to boil gently, skimming the surface often until sauce has reduced to a light syrupy consistency (about 30 minutes or longer.)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and swirl in 2 tablespoons of butter, bit by bit. Strain the resulting sauce and season with a little bit salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Use a narrow spatula or butter knife to spread 1 side of each crepe evenly with about 2 tablespoons filling.
- Fold each crepe into quarters, pressing neatly.
- anch cucumber slices in boiling salted water for 1 minute then drain well.
- Arrange the stuffed crepes in a shallow baking pan, brushing lightly with olive oil and place them in the oven until heated through (about 5 minutes.)
- Arrange 2 crepes, overlapping slightly, on each of 4 heated serving plates.
- Arrange 3 cucumber slices in a fan pattern next to the crepes and garnish with finely slivered olives.