|Beer Rye Bread|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: BREAD1002
Beer Rye Bread
- 2 pkg dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup molasses (preferably dark)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 5 cup rye flour
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
Makes 2 long loaves or 3 round loaves.
- Sprinkle dry yeast in warm water. Stir until dissolved.
- Heat beer until it just starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and add shortening.
- Add molasses, salt and caraway seeds to beer and stir.
- Cool until lukewarm and stir in dissolved yeast.
- Beat in rye flour.
- Beat in white flour until dough is too firm to beat (you may not need it all).
- Turn out onto floured board.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Put into greased bowl and butter top of dough.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- On a lightly floured board, knead again until smooth.
- Shape into 2 long loaves or 3 round loaves.
- Slash top with very sharp knife several times.
- Brush with egg that has been beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
- Let loaves stand until doubled in bulk.
- Brush again with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
Colorado Cache Cookbook (1978)