|Hazelnut Praline Buttercream|
Difficulty Level: Hard
Recipe Id: USA1020
Hazelnut Praline Buttercream
- 1 c Milk
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1/3 c Sugar, plus
- 1 tb Sugar
- 1 c Butter, unsalted, at room temperature
- 4 oz Hazelnut Praline Paste
- Place a medium bowl in a larger bowl of ice water. Set Aside.
- Bring milk to the boiling point in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Beat egg yolks in a large mixer bowl until smooth.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue berating until the mixture is pale yellow and forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted (about 7 minutes.)
- Gradually add boiling milk to yolk mixture, beating constantly to avoid the yolk curdling.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, and cook over low heat - stirring with a wooden spoon, for 30 seconds.
- Immediately pour custard into the bowl set over ice water.
- Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the butter and praline paste in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in cooled custard.
Recipe by Chef Jean-Jacques Rachou, La Cote Basque Restaurant, New York