|Texas Wild Duck Gumbo|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: USA1011
Texas Wild Duck Gumbo
- 2 wild ducks
- 2 celery stalk
- 1 small onion; sliced
- 2 small carrots; diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 gallon water
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups onion; chopped
- 2 cups celery; chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 24 shucked oysters
- 1/2 cup scallions; sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers; chopped
To Make the Stock (or see alternate duck stock recipe)
- In large pot combine ducks, 2 stalks celery, one small onion (sliced), diced carrots, salt, and gallon water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours, from time to time skimming off the foam.
To Make the Gumbo
- Make the roux of flour and vegetable oil until dark and brown.
- Add the bell peppers, red and black pepper, celery, and onions.
- Remove the ducks from the stock and reduce the broth to 2-1/2 quarts.
- Strain and pour over the roux.
- Simmer the gumbo for 20 minutes.
- Remove all duck meat from the bones, dice in 1/2-inch squares, and add to the gumbo.
- Broil the sausage, slice, and also add to the soup.
- Add the oysters and scallions at last and bring to a boil.
Serve over rice with Tabasco sauce as needed.