|Smoked Venison Roast|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: BARD106
Smoked Venison Roast
- 1 md onion chunked
- 1 TB prepared yellow mustard
- 1 TB worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ts kosher salt
- 1 ts fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 3 lb venison chuck roast
Mop Sause (optional)
- 1 cup beef stock or beer
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil preferably or corn oil
- 1 can (14.5oz) whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
The night before you plan to barbecue
- Combine the paste ingredients in a food processor or blender until the onion is finely chopped and a thick puree forms.
- Slather the paste over the venison.
- Transfer the venison to a large plastic bag and refrigerate it overnight.
Before you begian to barbecue
- Take the roast from the refrigerator and let it sit, covered, at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bring the temperature to 200 F to 220 F.
- Stir together the mop ingredients in a small saucepan and warm over low heat.
- Transfer the roast to the smoker and cook for 3 hours, mopping every 30 minutes in a wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker.
- Place the roast on a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and pour the tomatoes over the meat.
- Spoon the mustard and worcestershire sauce over the tomatoes.
- Seal the foil tightly and continue cooking the roast for about 2 more hours, until the meat is falling-apart tender.
- Remove the roast from the smoker and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes befor serving.
If you plan to baste the meat, never baste with a cold sauce as it reduces the temperature of the meat.
Recipe By : Jamison and Jamison - "Smoke & Spice"