Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: SPA1000
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 chorizo link; cut in half
- 1 cup diced lean cooked ham
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 large onion; chopped
- 10 cloves garlic; minced
- 4 small fresh hot chilies; minced
- 1 large tomato; dices
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- crushed dried hot chilies to taste; to taste, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 6 cups light chicken broth
- 1 pound cooked baby shrimp
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 large crab; cooked and cleaned
- 12 prawns
- 1/2 pound clams; (12)
- 1/2 pound mussels; (12)
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
- 2 lemons; cut into wedges
- In a large paella pan, heavy skillet or wok with a tight fitting lid, heat the olive oil.
- Saute the chorizos only until browned on all sides.
- Next brown the ham, then the chicken drumsticks. Set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilies to the oil and saute just until the onions are pink and translucent but not yet browned.
- Add the tomato and stir the mixture until it begins to form a sauce.
- Next add the bell peppers, cumin, black pepper, and dried chiles, if desired.
- Continue cooking over moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron and stir.
- Turn up the heat and add the rice, stirring to coat it evenly with the oil and tomato/chili sauce.
- Add the baby shrimp, parsley and cilantro and toss gently.
- Pour over enough light chicken broth to reach about 1 inch above the surface of the rice.
- Continue cooking over high heat until the stock has evaporated to just the level of the surface of the rice.
- While the stock is evaporating, break the legs off the crab and break the body of the crab into chunks; arrange on top of the rice.
- Push each chorizo chunk down into the rice. Do the same with the chicken legs, prawns, clams and mussels.
- Scatter the peas about the top and randomly arrange the lemon wedges.
- As soon as the level of the broth has just barely evaporated to the level of the surface of the rice, cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and leave 30 to 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve immediately from the pan it was cooked in.