|Avocado Soup With Radishes & Cilantro Cream|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: SPA1026
Avocado Soup With Radishes & Cilantro Cream
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil or 3 t. fruity olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 piece of ginger,1 1/2 inches long, peeled and minced
- 3 serrano or jalapeno chili peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 3 ripe avocados, preferably the haas variety
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, very finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch radishes, 10-12
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the Avocado oil or two tablespoons of the olive oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion.
- Saute for 5 minutes and add garlic, ginger and 2 of the peppers.
- Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- While the stock and vegetables are simmering, cut the Avocados in half and seed and peel them.
- Chop the Avocados, toss them with the juice of 1 lime and place about half the Avocado in a blender container.
- Add hot stock and vegetables until container is about 3/4 full and process until the mixture is smooth and liquid.
- Chill the soup thoroughly, preferably for several hours.
- Cut the radishes in small julienne and toss with the walnut oil or the remaining olive oil, the juice of 1/2 lime and salt to taste. Chill until you are ready to use them.
- Taste the chilled soup and add salt and more lime juice to taste.
- Ladle it into chilled soup bowls. Top each serving with a tablespoon of cilantro cream and a tablespoon of julienned radishes.
To make the cilantro cream
- stir the sour cream and half-and-half together, add the chopped cilantro, the remaining chili pepper, the ground coriander and salt to taste.
- Chill until you are ready to use it.
Variation This soup is also delicious when served hot and is an ideal opening to a hearty Mexican meal.
From: The Good Cook's Book of Oil & Vinegar by Michele Anna Jordan