|The Soup Nazi's® Crab Bisque|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: USA1034
The Soup Nazi's® Crab Bisque
- 4 pounds snow crab clusters (legs)
- 4 quarts water (16 cups)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimento
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram
- Remove all the crab meat from the shells and set it aside.
- Put half of the shells into a large pot with 4 quarts of water over high heat.
- Add onion 1 stalk of chopped celery, and garlic, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Continue to boil for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (The white part of the shells will start to become transparent), then strain stock.
- Discard the shells, onion, celery and garlic, keeping only the stock.
- Measure 3 quarts (12 cups) of the stock into a large sauce pan or cooking pot. If you don't have enough stock, add enough water to make 3 quarts.
- Add potatoes, bring mixture to a boil, then add 1/2 of the crab and the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring it back to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours, uncovered until it reduces by about half and starts to thicken.
- Add the remaining crab and simmer for another hour until the soup is very thick.
Makes 4-6 servings.