|German Farmhouse-Style Bratwurst|
Difficulty Level: Medium
Recipe Id: GER105
German Farmhouse-Style Bratwurst
- 1 cup fresh white bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 lb lean veal, preferably
- 1 shoulder, chilled
- 2 1/2 lb pork belly or fatty pork
- 1 pork butt, trimmed and chilled
- 1 tlbs plus 2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 yards prepared casings,
- 2 tblsp melted salted butter
- In a small bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk.
- Grind the veal and pork belly together, first coarsely and then finely.
- Place th meat in a large bowl. Add the salt, nutmeg, white pepper and softened bread crumbs. Mix well with your hands until thoroughly blended.
- Working with about one-quarter of sausage filling at a time (cover the rest and refrigerate the remainder).
- Stuff the casings loosely with the sausage filling.
- Pinch and twist into 4 inch links.
- Refrigerate the first ones while doing the rest.
- prick the sausages all over to prevent the skins from bursting.
- Place as many sausages in a skillet as will fit in a single layer without crowding.
- Pour in about one-half inch of water, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour off any liquid.
- Add butter to the pan and cook uncovered, turning, until the sausages are evenly browned. about 10 minutes.