|Gratin Of Melting Potatoes|
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe Id: FRA106
Gratin Of Melting Potatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 2 medium scallions
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme; minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 3 cups half and half or light cream; or as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 pounds potatoes
- Peel and cut potatoes into paper-thin slices. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Trim and mince scallions.
- In a bowl, stir together garlic, scallions, thyme, nutmeg, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Butter a 3- to 4-quart heatproof baking-serving dish.
- Put a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with the scallion-garlic mixture.
- Repeat 4 times, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour in just enough half-and-half to cover the potatoes.
- Cover the dish and set over very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, dot with butter, and bake until potatoes are tender, about 2 1/2 hours.